Monday, February 27, 2017
The 10 Strategies for Success are evidence-based and align with national recommendations to increase healthy eating and active living.
1. Limit unhealthy choices for snacks and celebrations; provide healthy choices.
2. Limit or eliminate sugary drinks; provide water.
3. Prohibit the use of food as a reward.
4. Provide opportunities to get physical activity every day.
5. Limit recreational screen time.
6. Participate in local, state and national initiatives that support healthy eating
and active living.
7. Engage community partners to help support healthy eating and active living.
8. Partner with and educate families in adopting and maintaining a lifestyle that supports healthy eating and active living.
9. Implement a staff wellness program that includes healthy eating and active living.
10. Collaborate with Food and Nutrition Programs to offer healthy food and
Unhealthy choices include foods and drinks high in sugar and/or salt such as soda, candy, cookies, cake and chips.
Healthy choices include water, fruits and vegetables, whole grain foods, protein sources such as eggs, beans, dairy, fish and poultry and healthy fats such as nuts, seeds and avocados.
Sugary drinks include juices (including 100% fruit juice) and sugar sweetened drinks such as Sunny Delight, soda, sport drinks such as Gatorade, energy drinks such as Red Bull, lemonade and sweetened coffee or tea drinks such as Snapple.
Physical activity is any movement that increases heart rate and breathing; for example, running, climbing, jumping, dancing, etc.
Screens include TVs, computers, video games, tablets and smart phones.
Recreational screen time is screen time used for non-educational purposes.
A food reward is a food used to encourage good behavior.